Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Thoughts on New Canon 5D MkII (and other possible body candidates)

This piece of news brought me a thoughtful night.


It is obvious that my modified 350D can no longer gives me a satisfactory performance in daily usage. The autofocus capability causes the most problem as I always struggle to achieve focus (again, in daily usage). The screen is small, it is slow, the viewing window is small, it does not have liveview focus.... (plus 1000 more reasons).

So the verdict is I'm going to get a new camera body. The problem is what to get, and here are my thoughts.

I once thought of selling my 350D to finance another (with live view) body for modification, and then buy another one for daily use. Then I recognize liveview is not crucial for focusing, it is just less convenient and more time consuming without. If I keep my 350D, I would just concentrate on getting a body for daily imaging and perhaps modify it after 2 product cycles. BTW I have considered the older models like 40D, or 5DI and have them modified right away for both astro and daily use.

Also, I'm highly tempted to get one of the latest Canon models like 50D and 5DII, because they are almost tripling the quantum efficiency of 350D, and doubling in that of 5D, thanks to the new CMOS and micro lense technology which leaves almost no gaps between the pixels.

There are also other concerns on a full frame machine because, while my current lenses are doing extremely well on APS format, may not perform as well on full frame. If I get the 5DII it could be solved because i can simply crop it or work on a mosaic and still there are a lot of pixels left (21 Million in total!)

There are so many options that I can come up with:

Plan A: Selling modified 350D
1) 40D modified
2) 5DI modified
3) 1000D modified + 50D unmodified
4) 1000D modified + 5DII unmodified

Plan B: Keeping 350D
1) 50D unmodified
2) 5DII unmodified

Notice I tend not to have the newest bodies modified (yet)

2 comments:

Woody Kitson said...

Interesting post! - I am currently working with a 5D generally (Only the most basic astro-photography though). I have looked at the 5D MkII with much interest for general purpose photography.

I had no idea I was loosing so many quanta through the gaps in the CMOS!

If you have time, would you be able to reccommend (or point me to resources to help me choose) a telescope for use with Canon EF Full-frame SLRs. Many thanks for any assistance.

Woody Kitson
www.woody.org.uk
(Timelapse and Stills)

Unknown said...

hi. thought i would ask an expert:
where can I look to get how to info on taking stunning astral shots digitally? What things are necessary? I make art light boxes and a stellar landscape would be a great addition. the shots im thinking of will show the galaxy and stars. any help is appreciated.