Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Rho-Ophiuchus Complex










Camera: 350D modified

Lens: Canon 135 F2 Wide open, on ball head Manfrotto 308RC

Mount: EM11USD3 manual guide, GA4

Guidescope: FS60C

Exposure: 2 pane mosaic, each pane ISO400 5min x 4 + ISO 800 5min x 4



A successful piece overall, with slightly framing off a little bit than I'd expected. This was originally planned to be a 4-pane mosaic, but due to the problem of camera rotation I could only make 2.


The lens 135 F.2 is a beast, which means it is very hard to control yet if it is controlled you can get a stunning picture quality, at least with APS-C format. She is one of the reasons why I may consider 50D over 5DII in the future, because her abberration @F2 is super small when compared to similar lenses. It is also possible my copy of the lens is an exceptionally good one.


Next time if I am to shoot this object again I'll definitely go for 4 or more panes, regardless of the orientation of the camera.



The colour balance of the 2 frames may be a bit different.. I'll try to tweak them when I have time.




No comments: