Thursday, September 11, 2008

Evaluation on Solar Eclipse 2008

Call me a perfectionist.


I'm not really satisfied with the result which I got from the 2008 eclipse. Actually I could easily pick up a few things I haven't done well:

1)The focus was not tack sharp because I did not bother to check it really closely before the eclipse

2) I simply did not know how long the longest exposure was... I thought it was 2 seconds, but it turned out to be 0.8 only

3) I'm still struggling on how to bring out the inner most corona with a nice balance with the outer most part. At this moment the inner part is still too bright:





4) There was DUST either on CCD or the lens and I had a hard time processing them away. Remember to take flatfields next time....

5) I thought the Canon 400mm f/5.6 lens was long enough. With a crop factor of 1.6X I got a nice framing of the outer corona at 640mm. But after I got home I realized it was not something I was looking for... I like high resolution inner corona shots (of course some outer corona wouldn't hurt =P)



Well yeah, I know my pictures looked quite lovely and it seems that I did quite well on my first eclipse, but I have to realize that I might not have many other chances goign on an eclipse trip like this. I must treasure all my opportunities.

No comments: